- See AddOn Studio 2010 for WildStar for alternate version. (smaller prerequisites)
AddOn Studio 2015 for WildStar is a fully featured development environment for creating and developing WildStar AddOns. AddOn Studio for WildStar features a professional Lua editor with full code-completion and other modern facilities, SVN repository support, project based AddOn file management and deployment, and much more.
To get started follow the steps below, and feel free to visit the following pages for more information and help. Twitter: @AddonStudioWS. Documentation: Getting Started. History: Release History. WildStar API: UI Customization. Support: Issue Tracker and Forums. Donations: PayPal.
AddOn Studio 2015 Edit
What you need:
- One of
Visual Studio Shell (small)or Visual Studio Community (very large):
-- or --
Note: Option 1 is does not work with current version, sadly can only use option 2 for now.
Getting Started Edit
- Download and install the above
Visual Studio Shell-or- Visual Studio Community
(defaults are fine, can skip 'Launch' after install)
- Download AddOn Studio 2015 for WildStar (Starter Video)
- Copy the folder 'AddOn Studio for WildStar 2015' in the zip file to any location you like,
such as 'c:\Program Files' or 'd:\apps'
- Run the WildStarAddonStudio.exe, or create a short-cut and run that instead.
- Create a new Project
- Add existing files or create new ones
- Deploy to WildStar by clicking 'Build'
- Run WildStar or '/reloadui' to use your AddOn...
- Issue Tracker and Forums and Release History
- Getting Started Documentation
- AddOn Studio 2015 for WildStar Demo Media
- If you are having trouble, try running the reset.cmd in the install folder.
- Rename or delete the installed 'AddOn Studio for WildStar 2015' folder.
- Follow the Installation steps above, skipping the Visual Studio Shell portion.
Product History Edit
The AddOn Studio 2010 for WildStar version will be updated in parallel, where both this version and the 2015 version will be supported together to give users a choice of which IDE's style, platform support, and functionality they are more comfortable with.
Today's Reality Edit
The general concepts of AddOn and game development, especially for WildStar, are far more well understood and by a much larger audience now than they were at the time of the original 'AddOn Studio for WoW'. And since the original 'AddOn Studio 2010 for WoW', many more games have come (and some gone) using Lua and similar extensibility concepts, and general expectations of quality in customer level tools and environments has risen as well.
This product improves on 2010 with an even more advanced and complete set of features, and is a powerful general IDE for WildStar AddOn development using a free Visual Studio back-end (much like the free Community versions of Visual Studio for C# and Web). There are quite a few additional Visual Studio integration features, all of which together contribute toward making WildStar Add-On development tools real first class citizens in a world where that almost never happens.
What Changed Edit
- See AddOn Studio 2010 for WildStar: What Changed for previous changes
- New Visual Studio 2015 IDE general set of features.
- See AddOn Studio for WildStar History for current specifics, will update more here later.
What Works Edit
- See AddOn Studio 2010 for WildStar: What Works for previous enhancements
This is a short list that expressly or implicitly covers major historic issues that, starting with the release of AddOn Studio 2015 for WildStar, have been handled with better support, direct fixes, and/or new and updated infrastructure.
- SCC Integration for GIT - the new version includes an optional, integrated, and functional version of GIT, with full support for all context menus. This is in addition to the previous SVN support. This allows using Curse or other Git support for remote code repositories. There is guaranteed support for sites like the Curse sponsored WowAce and Curse Forge.
- Windows 10 - using newer set of tools and compilers support was updated for a smoother experience on the new OS, and should still be backward compatible as far back as Visual Studio 2015 support goes. I believe this is the way back to Vista and above, but not back as far as Windows XP, Windows 2000, NT 4.0, or Windows 95. Windows Vista requires Vista SP1. AddOn Studio 2010 for WildStar still has support for Windows XP.
- Includes all of the AddOn Studio specific features from AddOn Studio 2010 for WildStar as well...
See also Edit
- AddOn Studio 2010 for WildStar
- AddOn Studio for WildStar - AddOn Studio for WildStar major versions and history
- AddOn Studio for WildStar Documentation - getting started, details for installation and setup
- AddOn Studio for WildStar History - effectively release history with changes and notes
- AddOn Studio 2015 for WildStar Demo